Sunday 7 November 2010

Funny English of Lee Da Hae (이다해 - 李多海)

Here's a video about Lee Da Hae who demonstrated different accents of English in UK, USA, and the Philippines. But here's something funny yet offensive to other Filipinos especially to the Filipino teachers who teach English to Koreans.



Guess I was once an English teacher to Koreans. It wasn't actually offensive for me since it was only for fun. And I do believe that Lee Da Hae didn't mean to offend Filipinos. At least, she did apologise to the Filipinos. At least, she has the talent to mimic other accents.

But wait a minute... it wasn't even Filipino accent! I bet, she used the accent of other Asians who speak English in that way. But I found her very funny!

And here's her statement about the issue on her Twitter account:



First I'd like to give you my sincere apologies for what seems to be a misunderstanding.

It has come to my attention that many of you from the Philippines have posted comments protesting that i was being derisive by mimicking Filipinos when they speak English.

Therefore, in light of this matter I'd like to take this opportunity to clear the air.
In spite of what many people believe, I myself did NOT mention anything
about the Philippines or Filipino accent whilst on the TV show.

On the other hand I recall bringing up Southeast Asia and not the Philippines and the subtitles were inserted when the show was being edited of which I was not aware of until it was aired.

The TV show where this footage was taken from was designed to amuse its audience and my sole purpose was to entertain the viewers by coming up with lighthearted stories.

Since the producer knows that i speak English he asked me if I could
share any episodes that touch upon the English language.

As we all know every country has a typical accent when its people speak English (including myself) so after giving it some thought, I came up with a few lines where I simply tried to compare different English accents: the somewhat rigid British accent and beginners in Southeast Asia whose English tends to be a little hard-edged. No pun or ridicule was intended.

As an individual who use to take English classes over the phone with a Filipino instructor, I give you my word that even the mere thought of mocking Filipinos would never cross my mind.
I cannot tell you how much Filipino fans mean to me and as much as I love them, I would in no way
hurt or upset them.

I hope I have clarified any misunderstandings and once again I am truly sorry if I inadvertently
hurt anyone's feelings.

-i really love you, my Filipino fans..




Sa mga kababayan kong Pilipino lalo na sa mga kapwa kong tagapagturo ng wikang Ingles sa mga Koreano, huwag nating tignan sa masyadong malalim na kahulugan. Kung titignan niyo naman po ang ginawa niya, para lamang po iyon sa pangkasayahan. At isa pa, sana po ay naging sapat na ang paghingi niya ng paumanhin. Hindi po sa kinakampihan ko po siya, pero wala po sanang away, OK? We Asians should be united as one, because we are gaining high praises from different people around the world. And besides, Christmas is fast approaching! PEACE ON EARTH! PEACE AMONG FILIPINOS AND KOREANS!

MABUHAY ANG PILIPINAS AT KOREA!

No comments: